It's Time


Three years. It's been three years since I've written anything not work-related.

The image above was something I found after Superstorm Sandy rolled in four years ago. I can't remember where I found it or who this boat belongs to, but it resonated with me because 1) it's my name on that boat, and 2) I felt stranded with nowhere to go.

When your day job literally sucks the life out of you and involves writing perfectly thought-out emails/strategies/marketing copy/etc., well, let's just say you tend to want to go home and shut your brain off. You battle the rough waters all day only to find yourself beaten down and falling to the side by the time you walk through the door in the evening.

So what's changed? I got a new job.

I'm still doing what I was doing before, and I'm still working for a large company, but the difference is that my work-life balance actually seems balanced for once. Yes, I still worry about work like any normal person does, but I feel lighter and not weighed down with toxic feelings.

I now know that I don't want to be in the corporate world much longer and have devised a three-year plan to help finally get my dream career started, so I can one day say I no longer work for "the man" anymore.

I'm also keeping myself busy with amazing experiences, which I document on Instagram but struggle to add color with my words. When I look back at it all, I'm so grateful. Some of these experiences really are once-in-a-lifetime moments I will carry with me for the rest of my life. However, I want to tell these stories and consider myself a writer again. I am still a Work in Progress, always will be, but the hope is that I will be able to find my voice and rhythm again. The only way this is going to happen is if I start exercising my writing muscles.

So it's time. It's time for me to write again. It's time for me to express myself the only way I know how. It's time for me to share the details of my life beyond a snapshot and a hashtag. It's time to focus on the things that inspire, entertain and amuse me. It's time to finally do something.

Comments

Popular Posts